November 18, 2011

The Octagon

So not only did I grow up on 80's cartoons, but a lot of kung fu movies as well. When I was a kid we lived in Korea for 2 years. Now this was back in the day, which meant no Internet and not too many places to buy bootlegs. Basically, we had to survive on what we brought with us from the states. Thankfully, my uncle from Texas would record a lot of Saturday morning cartoons and whatever TV shows my parents wanted to watch and shipped them over in monthly care packages for the family. Usually that consisted of a lot Smurfs, Dungeons and Dragons, Pole Position, Mr. T and a lot of Three's Company and Miami Vice. 

Now I guess my uncle would let the 4 hour tape just run on Saturdays and in the afternoons was something called Shaolin Kung Fu Theater. Not very PC but I didn't care. This was a god send and it introduced me to many of the all time great kung far martial artists and just badass fighting. I was totally hooked and could not get enough of it. 

Thankfully, one of the movies of the week happened to star some dude named Bruce Lee. Man, seeing this guy on screen was pure awesomeness. It was like he drank a can of badass every morning that's how cool I thought he was. Needless to say I was an instant fan and in seeing this my father thought I was big enough to show me his collection of Bruce Lee movies. Man, it was like Christmas in July and I tore though those bad movies, watched and re-watched them every day for a month or so. I even enrolled in Tae Kwon Do classes, which I later dropped in about 2 months because all the smaller Korean kids half my size kept kicking my butt. That's another story.

Anyways, long story short I am a big fan of the man and this is my small tribute to him and his can of badass! Hopefully I can market the can of badass some day and make millions so I can take Tae Kwon Do again and hunt down all those kids that kicked my butt. That's the plan for now.






This will be available as a print next week at The Happy Six Store in Los Angeles. You can also contact me if you are interested. Thanks again everyone and enjoy!

No comments: