January 5, 2013

Take a Class with Me!

***UPDATE 1/10/2013, 1 spot left! Thanks to everyone who signed up and look forward to meeting you all!**** 

For those who are interested I will be teaching Vis Com 1: Dynamic Sketching at the Concept Design Academy in Pasadena. The 10-week classes begin on February 9, and will be held Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. 

"What is Vis Com 1?" Well, I am glad you asked. This class will be taking the approach that drawing a plant or an insect is no different than the approach toward drawing a tank or a plane. We'll learn how to see things in life and break them down into their most simplest forms; therefore, making it easier and less frustrating to draw. Class involves a lot of field trips and homework so you will be drawing tons and visiting great museums and hidden gems that California has to offer. 

Sign-up begins today at 12:00 p.m. PST. Here is a link to the enrollment and registration page so head over there now!

Below are a few sketches, sample demos, class handouts, and student critiques to give you an idea of how the class will run. Thanks for stopping by and see you in class!


Demos and class samples














Sample handouts and notes for students







Critique/drawover of student work



3 comments:

Mauricio Abril said...

Awesome! Congrats on the teaching gig, I saw it as well on the CDA brochure recently. I love teaching too and would continue do it, but all my work traveling would make it bad for the students. Those are cool sketches up top (love that bus one) and great handouts. I was a TA for Norm Schureman, so this class holds a special place in my heart. Glad to see it's alive and well and that you're helping spread the knowledge. Best of luck to you!

Patrick Ballesteros said...

Thanks for stopping by Mauricio and for the kind words. It's an honor for me to be able to teach this class at CDA and to help spread the knowledge that Norm started. Although I never met him, I hope to carry on his spirit in my class.

Thank you again!

-Patrick

Unknown said...

Hi Patrick, I know this might be a bit cheeky. For those of us that don't have the money to attend CDA, was there any chance that I could get the handouts to assist me in my learning:)