September 23, 2013

Pirates

Hello, sorry for not posting on Friday these days just go by faster and faster I swear. Well below are some character concepts I never really got a round to finishing. Maybe someday I will, but for now they will get filed away as rough ideas that I hope to get to one day. Anyways, I though it would be interesting just to show you how rough I go with the initial idea and then the finish.

Here is my rough pass. I do have a general idea of what I want to do in these but mainly for this phase I am really thinking about personality and a fun/cool shape to use that will appeal to the viewer and also work for the entire lineup. One thing that helps is working on your cast in a row like this so that you can really create variety and contrast from one character to the next. Of course there is more to character design than just that but those are my initial thoughts.



The final drawing can sometimes change and stiffen up a little from the rough sketch, which happens to me all the time. However, this is the phase where you have to tie things down and get it ready for presentation. Rough sketches are great but some clients do not understand them so you have to be able to answer all their questions and create confidence between them and you work. This does not hold true for all clients but just be aware sometimes you do have to spell everything out.



More on this later but thanks again for dropping by.




No comments: