April 26, 2010

Back and Ready for action

Apologies for being MIA for so long without a post, I have been drawing everyday but for the past couple of weeks I had hit the "artists wall." Every artist goes through this no matter how late or early in their career they are in. It is usually different for each artist but a lot of times it is usually about the following:

1) How one has progressed?
2) Where's the motivation?
3) Why is my friend getting it and I'm not?
4) Damn, how am I going to get that good?
5) What do I want to do?

Now, I wish I had a magic filter on Photoshop to give you and BAM all this would be solved, believe me if I had one I would so cash in on that puppy. All I can say is to take a step back every once in a while and evaluate your priorities and give yourself time. I am lucky to be surrounded by people who support and give me a kick in the ass when I need it. For me, I think the main thing was setting my goals, something which I haven't done in about a month, hence, the WALL.

Other times you may just need to not draw for a bit and chill out. Do some physical activities, hang out with friends, or go to a coffee shop. I need to practice what I preach more but I think these things will help. I hope reading this is of some benefit to you who "the wall" does happen to everyone and that its not just you.

Alright, enough of that you are here to see some drawings so drawings you shall see. Here are a few pages from my sketchbook. Really trying to focus more on personality and shapes that exist in life. A really good teacher once told me ".....you cannot even begin to design out of your head the shapes that exist in real life, you just have to learn to see them." I actually think this is a hybrid of a few things that teachers have told me, regardless, I now see what they mean.










Enjoy, more work to come this week!

1 comment:

C.Deboda said...

Excellent post and advice, sir. Especially considering that I'm at that same wall currently too. :(

Very nice sketch pages too btw!